NYC man in Pa. said infected with anthrax
"NEW YORK - A New York City drum maker has been hospitalized with a case of inhaled anthrax that officials say he may have contracted from the raw animal hides that he imports from Africa.
Authorities said Wednesday the infection appeared to be accidental - not terrorism - and did not pose a serious public health threat.
Vado Diomande, 44, had traveled recently to the west coast of Africa and fell ill in Pennsylvania last week shortly after he returned to this country with some hides, authorities said.
It was not exactly clear how Diomande came into contact with the deadly substance, or whether it happened in Africa or in this country. But aides to Mayor Michael Bloomberg said it was related to his job making drums from animal skins.
At least four other people may have been exposed to anthrax spores, including a family member of the infected man who worked with the hides, and three were being treated with antibiotics, city Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden said."
Article: Miami Herald
NY drum-maker accidentally exposed to anthrax
"NEW YORK, Feb. 22 (Xinhuanet) -- A man who makes drums with raw animal hides from Africa has been hospitalized after he was accidentally exposed to inhalation anthrax, officials said Wednesday.
The 44-year-old man, a Manhattan resident, had traveled in December to Ivory Coast in west Africa and became ill last Thursday during a trip to Pennsylvania, said Mayor Michael Bloomberg at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.
There was no evidence of any criminal intent or terrorist connection, the mayor said. "